The League's Biennial Convention features presentations by Attorney General Janet Mills, Author Colin Woodard, and Law Professor James Friedman
In addition to the election of officers, four guest speakers addressed League members over the weekend. Rosalee Keech, member, Board of Directors of the League of Women Voters of the United States, talked about the work of the national League and the organization's role as an observer to the United Nations. Colin Woodard, bestselling author and award-winning journalist at the Portland Press Herald and Maine Sunday Telegram, gave a talk based on his book, American Nations: The Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America.
Maine Attorney General Janet T. Mills delivered the day's keynote address where she spoke about the role and work of her office. Professor Jim Friedman led a discussion of the Supreme Court decision in Citizens United. Attendees also got updates on the Clean Elections initiative that will be on the ballot this fall and the Ranked Choice Voting initiative which is expected to be on the 2016 ballot.
Jill Ward has been a member of the LWVME Board since 2009 and has served as Vice President for the past two years. Ms. Ward is a non-profit consultant with clients in Maine and Washington, DC. Educated at the University of Pennsylvania and Georgetown University Law Center, she has always had a strong interest in civic life and public service. She returned to her home state of Maine with her family in 2007 after more than 15 years' experience in the public sector, including senior policy positions with Girl Scouts of the USA and the Children's Defense Fund in Washington, DC. Ms. Ward also worked in the U.S. Senate for Senator George J. Mitchell and Senator Paul S. Sarbanes.
In addition to Ms. Ward, the League of Women Voters of Maine (LWVME) is pleased to announce for the following Officers and Directors for 2015-2017:
- Jill Ward, President (South Portland)
- Polly Ward, Vice President (South Freeport)
- Cathie Whittenburg, Secretary (Portland)
- Ann M. Luther, Treasurer (Trenton)
- Joanna Bowers, Director (Portland)
- John R, Brautigam, Director (Portland)
- Helen Hanlon, Director (Winthrop)
- Barbara Kaufman, Director (South Freeport)
- Linda Lord, Director (Brooks)
- Barbara McDade, Past President, Director (Bangor)
- Stephanie Philbrick, Director (Portland)
- Colleen Tucker (Portland)
- Sarah Skillen Woodard, Director (Freeport)