The First Regular Session of the 125th Maine Legislature convened on Wednesday, December 1, 2010, at 10:00 a.m., and adjourned Wednesday, June 29, 2011, at 7:47 p.m.
Regular Bills and Resolves passed during the First Regular Session become effective September 28, 2011.
The Second Regular Session of the 125th Maine Legislature will convene on Wednesday, January 4, 2012, at 10:00 a.m.
Legislation of interest this session is listed below. No League position regarding any bill is implied by its inclusion in this list. Link to complete information about the bills and bill status at the Maine Legislature's web site by clicking on the LD number below. Visit our Action & Advocacy page to find League testimony on some of these bills.
Elections & Voting Rights
- LD 120 An Act To End Taxpayer-funded Campaigns for Gubernatorial Candidates. Carried over.
- LD 659 An Act To Repeal the Maine Clean Election Laws. Dead.
- LD 814 An Act Relating to Political Action Committees in Maine. Dead.
- LD 848 Resolve, Directing the Commission on Governmental Ethics and Election Practices To Study Modifying the Maine Clean Election Act. Finally passed; awaiting signature by the Governor.
- LD 856 An Act To Change the Campaign Contribution Limits. Passed to be enacted and signed into law.
- LD 1054 An Act To Revise the Maine Clean Election Act Regarding Legislative Leadership Positions. Dead.
- LD 1100 An Act To Increase Transparency in Funding of Campaign Advertisements. Passed to be enacted and signed into law.
- LD 179 An Act To Prohibit the Issuance of a 2nd Absentee Ballot under Certain Circumstances. Passed to be enacted and signed into law.
- LD 199 An Act To Strengthen Maine's Election Laws by Requiring Photograph Identification for the Purpose of Voting. Failed to pass the Senate. Referred back to committee. Carried over.
- LD 203 An Act To Assist Municipal Clerks by Providing Adequate Time To Register Voters. Dead
- LD 1376 An Act To Preserve the Integrity of the Voter Registration and Election Process. Passed to be enacted and signed into law. People's Veto application pending.
Ethics and Disclosure
- LD 503 Resolve, Directing the Secretary of State To Examine the Issue of a Run-off Election for Governor. Dead.
- LD 607 RESOLUTION, Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of Maine To Require the Governor To Be Elected by a Majority Vote. Dead.
- LD 1126 An Act To Require That the Governor Be Elected by the Ranked-choice Votiing Method. Dead.
Freedom of Information
- LD 1150 An Act To Improve Administration of the Legislative Ethics Laws. Referred back to committee. Carried over.
- LD 1082 An Act Concerning the Protection of Personal Information in Communications with Election Officials. Passed to be enacted and signed into law.
- LD 494 RESOLUTION, Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of Maine To Change the Schedule for Redistricting. Finally passed. Does not require signature by the Governor. Requires ratification by the voters on the November 2011 ballot.