Our members come from different communities, cultures, and backgrounds. We bring our own stories, histories and perspectives to the organization. Our strength lies in our solidarity with each other, our shared values, and our commitment to building a stronger democracy.
- As a member, you will automatically become a member of both LWV Maine and LWV of the United States. The LWVUS advocates in Washington, D.C. for democracy and voters, as well as supporting grassroots civic engagement nationwide.
- If you live in an area with a local League, you will also receive information about local events and opportunities to get involved in your community.
- Together with Maine Citizens for Clean Elections, the League leads Democracy Maine, a partnership for civic engagement and collaborative advocacy. Through Democracy Maine, League members are part of a coalition of like-minded Mainers, and have access to staff support and coordinated resources for our work.
- We put our values into practice as a democratically-run, volunteer-led organization. As a League member, you will be eligible to vote in the consensus studies that determine our policy positions, and to vote on our bylaws, board, and programs at our biennial convention.
- The amount of time you commit is up to you, and the opportunities to make an impact are endless. Some members choose to volunteer for voter registration and voter education programs, join our advocacy team and work for policy change, participate in our middle and high school civic education projects, and/or get involved in planning programs for their local League. Find out more about volunteer opportunities in the League.