The second half of the 131st Legislature begins on Wednesday, January 3. It'll be shorter than the first half and should move quickly. It's expected to conclude mid-April. Here's our quick guide to help orientate yourself.
Key Issues for 2024:
- We'll follow many bills, but the key ones are National Popular Vote, campaign finance reform, tribal sovereignty, and gun safety.
- Every bill in Maine receives a public hearing. Many have been scheduled for January, while other new and carried-over bills should receive their hearing soon. A public hearing is the perfect time for constituents to submit testimony and share their opinions on legislation. Legislators prefer hearing from their voters over lobbyists, so always remember that your voice matters!
Wednesday, January 3
- Legislature restarts. The House and Senate will meet, as well as several legislative committees. View the calendar here.
- Gun Safety Day of Action. We'll rally and demand that our legislators pass strong gun safety legislation this year. RSVP here.
Monday, January 8
- National Popular Vote (NPV), LD 1578, has its public hearing in the Veterans and Legal Affairs (VLA) Committee. We need folks to submit written testimony! Also consider delivering your testimony either in-person or over Zoom. See our testimony guide here.
Other Important links: